We’re only a relatively small charity and so looking after our books is not a massive job, probably just a 3 or 4 hours a week, at most. However, this would help release our small, core team to concentrate on the creative and technical side of the operation.
We use the Quickbooks PC package which is relatively simple to use. If you have relevant experience, that’s great, but we’re happy to train people who have the right aptitude for the job.
Duties could include:-
- Data entry of expenditure and income
- Importing data from our on-line sales on Amazon and Ebay
- Creating invoices and receipts for customers and suppliers
- Making payments to bills and customers
- Reconciling our accounting records with bank statements
- Communicating with suppliers and customers
- Preparing and submitting VAT returns
- Communicating with our independent examiner regarding annual accounts
- Preparing information and accounts for submission to Companies House, the Charities Commission, and HMRC.
- Calculating reclaims of Gift Aid from tax paying donors
This is a great opportunity for someone to learn the ins and outs of how a small company/charity functions. It would be a great grounding for someone who wants to get experience int his are for potential future employment.
As with all our volunteer positions, we’re happy to be flexible and combine some aspects of the job with roles in other departments such as broadcast and sales.